National Onion Ring Day is about here (June 22), and we’re excited. You see, we heard in recent years about a restaurant in New Orleans that served special onion rings, one with a kick and tanginess we’ve never tasted before.
The only issue was the chef wasn’t willing to share. So we decided to try our own version and enlisted Chef Aran Essig, CEC, CCA, the executive chef with the University of Northern Colorado, to take a swing at duplicating the deliciousness of what we deemed, the “Pickled Onion Ring.”
There are tons of recipes out there. We’re adding Wine and Bring Pickled Onion Rings from Chef Essig to our list. In fact, the National Onion Association has its hands on a variety of onion ring recipes. The Best Ever Onion Rings, Rootbeer Onion Rings, Crispy Microbrew Onion Rings, even Crispy Barbecue Onions (though not specifically the battered version, they are still rings).
But this version is special. It’s a taste that knocks out the traditional onion ring, and may put a little pucker on your face.
Wine and Brine Pickled Onion Rings
Crisp, fried onion rings with a tangy twist
2 Medium Red Onions Sliced into ¾ inch rings
8 fl oz Red Wine Vinegar
2.5 TBS Sugar
1 TBS Salt
3 fl oz Red Wine
3 each Cloves
- Slice Onions
- In a Sauce Pot, Combine the Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Wine and Cloves.
- Place the onions in the liquid. Do not separate the rings. They will separate as the mixture cooks.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 3-4 minutes swirling the pan to ensure all the onions are exposed to hot brine.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Place into a clean container and place in refrigeration for at least 2 hours. Onions should be submerged in the liquid.
200 grams (Approx. 1 cup) All-purpose flour
1 each Large Egg (Beaten)
260 grams (Approx. 1 1/4 cup) White Wine
70 grams (Approx. 1/4 cup) Brine
- Whisk egg, wine and brine together.
- Add to flour and stir to combine
- Chill for 1 hour
- Heat frying oil to 350 degrees
- Remove onion rings from brine and pat dry any excess moisture
- Dip in batter and place in hot oil
- Fry till golden and crisp
- Serve warm