Here are a few easy ways you can enjoy more of this amazing veggie at your house! By the way, if you’re looking for specific recipes, check out the National Onion Association recipe page and their recipes of the month:
· Raw onions have an unmatched flavor and crispness that beg to be part of salads, sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and homemade salsas and relishes.
· When marinated in balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and a tiny bit of sugar, onions becomce the perfect fit for veggie, fruit, or green salads and for hot or cold sandwiches.
· Sauté or caramelize onions for a flavorful, easy side dish to serve alone or with a medley of other vegetables. These savory onions can also be added to rice or pasta to make delicious and filling vegetarian main dishes.
· Instead of topping your baked potato with butter or sour cream save the calories and top that spud with a generous heap of savory sautéed or caramelized onions. You’ll add another veggie to your plate and the taste will have you hooked!
· Grilled onions go great with burgers and brats, but you’ll be amazed at the boost of flavor they give ordinary baked beans and homemade salsa.
· Take a whole peeled onion, hollow it out and fill with a combination of rice or pasta, meat, cheese, and vegetables and bake for a delicious one-dish meal.
· Place onions in a roasting bag or slow cooker with other veggies, and your favorite protien and herbs for a home-cooked meal with extra savory, mouthwatering flavor.