Wine and Brine Pickled Onion Rings
Crisp fried onion rings with a tangy twist.
Brined Onion Rings
2 Medium Red Onions Sliced into ¾ inch rings
8 fl oz Red Wine Vinegar
2.5 TBS Sugar
1 TBS Salt
3 fl oz Red Wine
3 each Cloves
1. Slice Onions
2. In a Sauce Pot, Combine the Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Wine and Cloves
3. Place the onions in the liquid. Do not separate the rings. They will separate as the mixture cooks.
4. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 3-4 minutes swirling the pan to ensure all the onions are exposed to hot brine.
5. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
6. Place into a clean container and place in refrigeration for at least 2 hours. Onions should be submerged in the liquid.
200 grams (Approx. 1 cup) AP Flour
1 each Large Egg (Beaten)
260 grams (Approx. 1.25 cup) White Wine
70 grams. (Approx. 25 cup) Brine
1. Whisk egg, wine and brine together.
2. Add to flour and stir to combine
3. Chill for 1 hour
1. Heat frying oil to 350 degrees
2. Remove onion rings from brine and pat dry any excess moisture
3. Dip in batter and place in hot oil
4. Fry till golden and crisp
5. Serve warm
Recipe by Chef Aran Essig, CEC, CCA, executive chef, University of Northern Colorado.