Zing Rings — Beer battered pickled onions
Click for full imagePrint Friendly Version
Crisp fried onion rings with a tangy twist, coated with a tasty beer batter.
2 Medium Yellow Onions Sliced into ¾ inch rings
8 fl oz Apple Cider Vinegar
2.5 TBS Sugar
1 TBS Salt
3 fl oz Beer
½ tsp Dill
1. Slice Onions
2. In a Sauce Pot, Combine the Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Wine and Dill
3. Place the onions in the liquid. Do not separate the rings. They will separate as the mixture cooks.
4. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 3-4 minutes swirling the pan to ensure all the onions are exposed to hot brine.
5. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
6. Place into a clean container and place in refrigeration for at least 2 hours. Onions should be submerged in the liquid.
200 grams AP Flour
2 each Egg Whites (Beaten)
260 grams Beer
70 grams Brine from the pickled onions
1. Whisk egg whites, beer and brine together.
2. Add to flour and stir to combine
3. Chill for 1 hour
1. Heat frying oil to 350 degrees
2. Remove onion rings from brine and pat dry any excess moisture
3. Dip in batter and place in hot oil
4. Fry till golden and crisp
5. Serve warm
Recipe by Chef Aran Essig, CEC, CCA, executive chef, University of Northern Colorado.