Caramelized Onion Brandy Ice CreamPrint Friendly Version
Yields 1250 grams (Approx. 1 1/3 quart)
1 Large Yellow Onion Thinly Sliced
6 grams Vegetable Oil
20 grams Brandy
500 grams Heavy Cream
400 grams Milk, Whole
250 grams Sugar, Granulated
1 gram Salt
3 each Cardamom Pods
2 tsp Dried Shallot (optional)
2 tsp Chives (optional)
1. Thinly slice onion
2. Heat oil in sauté pan and deeply caramelize onion over medium heat
3. Deglaze the pan with brandy and cook off all alcohol. Reduce any liquid till dry
4. Weigh out 100 grams of the onion
5. Combine the Heavy Cream, Milk, Sugar, Salt, Cardamom, and Caramelized Onion in a saucepot. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Be cautious not to allow it to boil over.
6. Allow to steep for 15 minutes.
7. Transfer to a blender and blend till smooth.
8. Transfer to a clean, shallow, metal pan appropriate for the size of the liquid.
9. Add Dried Shallot and Chives if desired
10. Place the pan in the freezer
11. Stir every 20 minutes till the ice cream reaches the desired consistency. This could take up to 3 hours.
* This recipe was designed for the freezer method of making ice cream. If using an ice cream maker adjustments may be needed.
Recipe by Chef Aran Essig, CEC, CCA, executive chef at the University of Northern Colorado. Image provided by the National Onion Association.